"Using Middle America as her muse, Kowch draws the history of a particular place -- invariably rural -- to the surface as it collides with a new reality in layers of metaphor and moodiness. The faces of her women may remind you of characters in a Tim Burton film."
--Steve Parks, Newsday

Thursday, April 17, 2008

"The Song of Hiawatha"





























Finally got around to photographing some of my latest work. Here's the finished illustration for Longfellow's Song of Hiawatha that I spoke of earlier (see my previous post). I have to admit that the execution of this one was more challenging than usual - giving me a profound appreciation for landscape painters! Colorwise, it can get tricky if the scenery is complex, but I'm satisfied with the results. I've been wanting to do something like this for some time, so it was cool to finally undertake it.
Designed to be used as either a wrap-around book cover or full spread, I focused mainly on evoking the beauty of nature in conjunction with the quiet, noble power of the warrior in his solitude. Though the poem speaks much of Hiawatha's role as a fierce warrior, it sings of his qualities as a wise, honorable, and peaceful leader, above all; one who lived for his people, and one who always listened and communicated with the earth and living creatures around him.

2 comments:

William M said...

I really like the final book cover. I enjoyed the close up shots/detail shots that you posted too!

Unknown said...

I love the pictures! HOW FASCINATING!