"Using Middle America as her muse, Kowch draws the history of a particular place -- invariably rural -- to the surface as it collides with a new reality in layers of metaphor and moodiness. The faces of her women may remind you of characters in a Tim Burton film."
--Steve Parks, Newsday

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Work to be Published in CMYK MAGAZINE


















I am honored to announce that my work will be featured in CMYK Magazine's 40th Issue, to hit newsstands this April. The above piece, Blackbirds Are Gathering was selected through the magazine's "Call for Aspiring Creatives," one of the most high-profile emerging creative portfolio contests in the nation. It's moments like these when you can take a moment to step back and breathe; to look upon all your hard work and remember why you pursue your greatest passion in the first place . . . because it's something you live to do, and it's something you're meant to do. I simply can't imagine doing anything else with my life that would bring me so much joy and satisfaction.

For us creatives, even the tears (what creative pursuits come without them?) that try to sometimes get in the way of us reaching our dreams are worthwhile moments of growth that only prepare us for better things down the road. I know it'll really hit me when I see it printed. And I cannot fail to give my thanks to all those involved in my life -- family, friends, mentors, and peers -- who help make a moment like this that much better, and that much more special. You all know who you are!

For those of you not familiar with the magazine, you can check out their website here.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm soooo excited!!!!! I'm so happy for you and kristina and alyssa. Keep me informed about when the issue comes out.

Alvin Richard said...

Congratulations Andrea, I have the impression that this is just the start, and more will follow....ENJOY!

Kaylen Conley said...

Congrats again! This piece is so transcending and beautiful. I can't wait to see it printed, how exciting!