"Using Middle America as her muse, Kowch draws the history of a particular place -- invariably rural -- to the surface as it collides with a new reality in layers of metaphor and moodiness. The faces of her women may remind you of characters in a Tim Burton film."
--Steve Parks, Newsday

Thursday, September 2, 2010

"Queen Anne's Lace"

30" x 24"
acrylic on canvas



The concept for this painting started out as a simple pun on words before shifting to something a little deeper; a view from a more feminine perspective, my love for expansive, earthy landscapes, fields in particular, and a childhood favorite of a wildflower that I used to pick. When I was a child, relatives of mine had a home with a wide field running behind it, and everytime I went over there, the only thing I wanted to do was run down that hill that was blanketed in daisies and Queen Anne's Lace. It's a flower that is both so complex yet so simple at the same time; the way I myself sometimes feel. Funny how ordinary memories often find their way into the paintings in one form or another, even without me knowing sometimes, and they play a large role in this one. Those were the days; the field was my empire, the buzzing insects my court, and the flowers my crown!

2 comments:

Alvin Richard said...

You have an old soul. It's almost difficult to imagine someone your age being connected to the earth like you are. It's as if you have disconnected from the stimuli of the era of technology.....some genius artist could have produced these masterpieces 100 years ago. For some reason it reminds me of Christina's World. The color scheme for one thing but also as if she is in her own ''world'' and she not only becomes part of nature but she starts to camoflage in the process. I just love it, so beautiful while retaining an edge.....a rare quality. Great concept!

Andrea Kowch said...

Thanks, Alvin. I have been told that before, and have been a nature-lover as long as I can remember. I think my generation was really the last one to grow up without all the hi-tech gadgets that rule these days, and so I think seeing all the change that's happened since then is why I feel the profound connection.