"Using Middle America as her muse, Kowch draws the history of a particular place -- invariably rural -- to the surface as it collides with a new reality in layers of metaphor and moodiness. The faces of her women may remind you of characters in a Tim Burton film."
--Steve Parks, Newsday

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Thoughts of interest. . .



As I paint I contemplate things a lot, and with that often comes the urge to turn a few pages in a book on an artist I admire; be it the need to find inspiration, encouragement, or to simply remind myself that I am not alone in feeling profound emotions towards similar things.

"I. . . have inherited that strange love for things remote, things delicately perfumed with that sadness that is so exquisitely beautiful. . . I only dare hope that I can commune these feelings to you in my work - sometime."

"I feel so moved sometimes toward nature that I could almost throw myself face down into a ploughed furrow - ploughed furrow understand! I love it so."

-- N.C. Wyeth

Just some random thoughts for today that I felt were worth sharing.

No comments: