"Using Middle America as her muse, Kowch draws the history of a particular place -- invariably rural -- to the surface as it collides with a new reality in layers of metaphor and moodiness. The faces of her women may remind you of characters in a Tim Burton film."
--Steve Parks, Newsday

Monday, August 2, 2010

Solo Show Opening & Hamptons weekend



Well it has been two weeks since my solo exhibition Andrea Kowch: American Magic Realism, opened at RJD Fine Arts Gallery in Sag Harbor and it still feels like I was only just there yesterday. I know I am a bit overdue on the updates here, but better late than never, and I have already been busy painting again since then, too. More new work coming!



It's hard to find a place to start in describing my short but extremely eventful weekend in the Hamptons. I could not have asked for a more enjoyable, memorable experience, and I thank everyone involved, from my gallery to all the great new people I had the privilege of meeting - and above all, my wonderful collectors. The show looked beautiful, and the VIP treatment I received was, simply put, AWESOME. :) Huge thanks to my gallerist Richard Demato and his wife, artist and internationally-acclaimed textile designer, Harriet Sawyer, who accommodated me at their gorgeous Long Island Sound home and showed me a great time. For a glimpse, check out the February 2010 issue of American Art Collector (#52) to see the feature on their home and art collection. Amazing stuff.

Sag Harbor is everything I expected, charming, friendly, historical, and I was stoked to spend some time exploring it before the show. A museum-goer at heart, the Custom House and Whaling Museum were some of the stops I had to visit, and they did not disappoint.



And did I mention the weather was perfect? I also got to ride in a Ferrari for the first time! It was quite the beautiful, stylish experience (to put it mildly)! Montauk Point and the legendary Lily Pond Lane in East Hampton were on the next day's agenda, courtesy of Richard and Harriet who were kind enough to shuttle me around and show me many worthwhile spots. I was able to catch a passing glimpse of the summer homes of Martha Stewart, Steven Spielberg, etc. as well as Grey Gardens, which I did not see, but I know we passed it somewhere down that road!

In between these jaunts, I also made house calls to a few of my collectors whom I thank for having me stop by. It surely was a weekend to remember, and I wish I could have shared the moments with each and every one of you. I tried to take lots of pictures, but was so involved, I had to often remind myself to do so. Be sure to visit my Flickr page to see it all. I could not have asked for a better way to kick off my first showing there on the east coast, and celebrate all the long days spent in the studio over the last few months. It was amazing.

Visit my Flickr PhotoAlbum to view all pics from the opening!



Last but not least for all you collectors and lovers of antiques out there, Leigh and Leslie Keno of Antiques Roadshow were on my flight to NY! Two nice guys who had no problem lending me a minute for a photo. I love the show, and was SO excited to meet them! This is us at La Guardia!

6 comments:

Alvin Richard said...

What an amazing blog entry....I'm grining from ear to ear. I think I told you recently that you had already arrived.....we'll this proves it! PS- I did have a look at AAC #52- WOW!

Andrea Kowch said...

Thank you, Alvin! It was a great experience. Now it's back to the grind, but that's how I like it! :)

mollyk said...

Hi! I stumbled upon your works after looking at some NYC gallery websites... thought I'd let you know that I am a huge fan and I love seeing young artists doing wonderful things and being successful!

Andrea Kowch said...

Thank you very much Molly!

Chelsea Kirchoff said...

Dude! Everything about this entry is awesome, but meeting Leigh and Leslie is the cherry on top! Congrats on everything!

Andrea Kowch said...

Thanks Chelsea! It definitely was the cherry on top! They sat in the row right in FRONT of me on the flight, too, but I was too chicken to say anything until the last minute, lol!