"Using Middle America as her muse, Kowch draws the history of a particular place -- invariably rural -- to the surface as it collides with a new reality in layers of metaphor and moodiness. The faces of her women may remind you of characters in a Tim Burton film."
--Steve Parks, Newsday

Monday, November 12, 2007

Digital Montage












This is a digital montage I did in Photoshop using one of my recent paintings, "Blackbirds Are Gathering" (which you can view below in a previous post). To expand on my nature theme, I wanted to create something that fused texure with organic shapes, so I settled on some wood grain surfaces which I masked over the image, and then finished it off by digitally rendering the branches and leaves. I also searched far and wide for a poem about nature that would help illustrate the idea, and ended up settling on Oscar Wilde's "We Are Made One With What We Touch and See."

1 comment:

Dave Chow Illustrations said...

I'm just digging the fact that you're being brave enough to take a stab at some typography! Nicely done. I think it'll serve you well in that series of projects we had talked about.